(1) A piece of information about circumstances that exist or events that have occurred
"First you must collect all the facts of the case"
(2) A concept whose truth can be proved
"Scientific hypotheses are not facts"
(3) A statement or assertion of verified information about something that is the case or has happened
"He supported his argument with an impressive array of facts"
(4) An event known to have happened or something known to have existed
"Your fears have no basis in fact"
"How much of the story is fact and how much fiction is hard to tell"
From , neuter of , perfect passive participle of .
- Action; the realm of action.
- A wrongful or criminal deed.
- Accessory after the fact
- An honest observation.
- Something actual as opposed to invented.
- In this story, the Gettysburg Address is a fact, but the rest is fiction.
- Something which has become real.
- The promise of television became a fact in the 1920s.
- Something concrete used as a basis for further interpretation.
- Let's look at the facts of the case before deciding.
- An objective consensus on a fundamental reality that has been agreed upon by a substantial number of people.
- There is no doubting the fact that the Earth orbits the Sun.
- Information about a particular subject.
- The facts about space travel.