(1) A part of an animal that has a special function or is supplied by a given artery or nerve
"In the abdominal region"
(2) A knowledge domain that you are interested in or are communicating about
"It was a limited domain of discourse"
"Here we enter the region of opinion"
"The realm of the occult"
(3) The extended spatial location of something
"The farming regions of France"
"Religions in all parts of the world"
"Regions of outer space"
(4) A large indefinite location on the surface of the Earth
"Penguins inhabit the polar regions"
(5) The approximate amount of something (usually used prepositionally as in `in the region of')
"It was going to take in the region of two or three months to finish the job"
"The price is in the neighborhood of $100"
- Any considerable and connected part of a space or surface; specifically, a tract of land or sea of considerable but indefinite extent; a country; a district; in a broad sense, a place without special reference to location or extent but viewed as an entity for geographical, social or cultural reasons.
- the equatorial regions
- the temperate regions
- the polar regions
- the upper regions of the atmosphere
- An administrative subdivision of a city, a territory, a country or the European Union.
- Such a division of the city of Rome and of the territory about Rome, of which the number varied at different times; a district, quarter, or ward.
- The inhabitants of a region or district of a country.
- A place in or a part of the body in any way indicated.
- the abdominal regions
- Place; rank; station; dignity.
- The space from the earth's surface out to the orbit of the moon: properly called the elemental region.
- (Bosnian, Serbian): region